Handloom Industry

Among traditional industries of Kerala, handloom sector stands second only to the coir sector in providing employment. Kerala’s textile industry comprises traditional handloom sector, power loom and the spinning sector.

Empowering Kerala's Handloom Industry Innovation and Upliftment

Among traditional industries of Kerala, handloom sector stands second only to the coir sector in providing employment. Kerala’s textile industry comprises traditional handloom sector, power loom and the spinning sector. The handloom industry in the State is mainly concentrated in Thiruvananthapuram and Kannur District and in some parts of Kozhikode, Palakkad, Thrissur, Ernakulam, Kollam and Kasaragod Districts. The industry is dominated by the co-operative sector, covering 96 per cent of total looms. The remaining 4 percent of handloom units are owned by industrial entrepreneurs.

Infrastructure

Among traditional industries of Kerala, handloom sector stands second only to the coir sector in providing employment. Kerala’s textile industry comprises traditional handloom sector, power loom and the spinning sector. The handloom industry in the State is mainly concentrated in Thiruvananthapuram and Kannur District and in some parts of Kozhikode, Palakkad, Thrissur, Ernakulam, Kollam and Kasaragod Districts. The industry is dominated by the co-operative sector, covering 96 per cent of total looms. The remaining 4 percent of handloom units are owned by industrial entrepreneurs.

Other Sectors

Last Updated on: 17 July 2024സന്ദ൪ശകരുടെ എണ്ണം : 3056822